Tuesday, January 1, 2002

Books - Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
by Siegried Engelmann, Phyllis Haddox & Elaine Bruner

I did not like this book. I am sure the lessons work for an older (or calmer) child than mine, but my 3 year old would not sit through one lesson, let alone 100 lessons! She loves the reading games and I thought this book would be more like that. If you do want to teach with this book you will need to buy it, meaning it is not a book that you can read once and return to the library. I does have 100 lessons and you need to sit with your child and follow the book for all 100 lessons.

One other thing I realized is that I don't like SRA DISTAR reading. I don't like the fact that they "change" the letters. For the word "little" they make the e on the end very small, or for the word "she" the sh are stuck together. This is not the way words look in books or text, so why teach it that way? Here are some examples...

No comments: