Sunday, December 14, 1997

Takeshi - December 14, 1997

Today Takeshi painted in his workbooks. He really liked that. I also read "The Cat in the Hat" to hm and pointed to every "at" word as I read. That was ok, but then he was hungry. While I was making Macaroni and Cheese, I got out the magnetic letters and put "at" on the refrigerator. I said "What does that say?" Takeshi said "at". I was surprised because we've only seen it in lower case, not capital letters. Then I told him I was going to make a magic trick. Then I said that I could change the "at" to a "mat", and I put the "m" in front of the "at". I said "Now it says 'mat' just like we're sitting on a mat". I took the "m" off and said "Now you try to change the 'at'". Takeshi took the "m" and said "it says 'mat', just like we're sitting on". Then I said try one more. He took the "c" and put it up. I said "what does it say?", and he said "Cookie". I said "It's almost like cookie, it has a 'c' just like cookie." Then I sounded out "cat" for him.

Then I took a black pen and wrote "A fat ____ sat on a ____" and I wrote "cat, rat, bat, hat and mat" on flashcards. Takeshi chose 2 words and I read the sentence for him. We did this 2 times and then we ate.

I just assumed Takeshi would understand how to sound out words. Takeshi loves to read words and say the letter names and sounds, but he doesn't like to sound out words.

No comments: